Home » Server Options » Data Guard » remote standby database behind firewall (Oracle 9i R2, Linux)
remote standby database behind firewall [message #338550] Tue, 05 August 2008 05:44 Go to next message
sajut
Dear All

I have implemented a test standby database with tips and advice from members from this site. Now am planning to put this into production use. Since the standby site is at a remote site, I am thinking of protecting this by a linux firewall. But, how can dataguard transfer log files to standby database thru the firewall. The primary database and the standby database are connected by a VPN connection.

Thanks in advance
Re: remote standby database behind firewall [message #338626 is a reply to message #338550] Tue, 05 August 2008 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>how can dataguard transfer log files to standby database thru the firewall.
You need to be smarter than the equipment delployed.
My DB servers are behind TWO different firewalls at each site & DataGuard works well between sites 1500 miles apart.
Re: remote standby database behind firewall [message #339171 is a reply to message #338626] Thu, 07 August 2008 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sajut
>My DB servers are behind TWO different firewalls at each site
Can you elaborate on this. How does the archived log file go through the primary db firewall and reach standby db thru standbydb firewall. (I'm not good in networking, but heard of words like NATing etc)

Thanks
Re: remote standby database behind firewall [message #339184 is a reply to message #339171] Thu, 07 August 2008 00:39 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
sajut wrote on Wed, 06 August 2008 22:07
>My DB servers are behind TWO different firewalls at each site
Can you elaborate on this. How does the archived log file go through the primary db firewall and reach standby db thru standbydb firewall. (I'm not good in networking, but heard of words like NATing etc)

Thanks

The term is "tunneling" & if you are not good at networking,
then you'll be challenged to make it actually work for you.
Previous Topic: set time delay sending log file
Next Topic: dbstart script for standby database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:11:02 CDT 2024