Home » Server Options » Data Guard » tunning the MRP process
tunning the MRP process [message #294173] Wed, 16 January 2008 11:59 Go to next message
aline
Hi,
I have some problem with my physical standby database.
The MRP process is working slowly.
The primary redo generation is greater than the redo apply rate.
I'm working with a 9.2 database.

do you know how to tune this process or if there is some documentations about that?

thk!
Re: tunning the MRP process [message #306714 is a reply to message #294173] Sun, 16 March 2008 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarkis
we had the same problem...we changed a few parameters and it worked well...can u send me (at kishore131@gmail.com) the parameter files of both the servers,server configuration(no. of cpus,memory) and logsize,generation rate...
i hope we can tune it
Re: tunning the MRP process [message #306717 is a reply to message #306714] Sun, 16 March 2008 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why don't you explain what you did to improve the performances?
Not just the parameters you modified but why.

Regards
Michel
icon14.gif  Re: tunning the MRP process [message #306729 is a reply to message #306717] Sun, 16 March 2008 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarkis
Hi,

I wud like to share my experiences:

As per oracle's best recovery practices,
we had changed the keep pool,recycle pool to zero and instead allocated that to db_cache_size.

If the recovery is done by parallel processes, intercommunication b/w processes can be improved by increasing the parallel_execution_message_size. Its new value depends on requirement. We had increased it to 32KB to good benefit.

Pls check if these are applicable in your case.

Regards,
skk
Re: tuning the MRP process [message #308901 is a reply to message #306729] Tue, 25 March 2008 22:00 Go to previous message
RichB
Hi,

We use LNS to ship the archivelogs asynchronously.

We configured the LISTENER.ORA to increase the Send and receive buffers on both the primary and standby. There's a formula to calculate the optimum based on your RTT time of a ping average.
(SEND_BUF_SIZE=10500000)
(RECV_BUF_SIZE=10500000)

We also run multiple archive processes log_archive_max_processes=13 ... 1 for the local archive and 12 to ship to the standby. The 12 are used in the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 with a MAX_CONNECTIONS=4. This will parallelize the shipping of each archlog. so essentially, we will ship 3 logs at a time ,each broken up into 4 streams).

And set the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET = 600 to perform a log switch every 600 seconds regardless of activity... for our SLA of a maximum of 10 minutes of data loss in a true destructive disaster.

BTW, we're on 10gR2.

We're shipping several hundred GB a day this way from California to Texas on multiple databases.

Hope this helps.
Rich

Previous Topic: How many standy database should I build?
Next Topic: ora 16055
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:29:56 CDT 2024