Home » Other » Community Hangout » Google Generation
Google Generation [message #294702] Fri, 18 January 2008 09:04 Go to next message
Frank
Who would have thought...
Re: Google Generation [message #294710 is a reply to message #294702] Fri, 18 January 2008 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
The questions posted here on an hourly basis support the conclusion of this article.
Re: Google Generation [message #294738 is a reply to message #294702] Fri, 18 January 2008 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I am all for getting information quickly and conveniently. I am not referring to people trying to get others to do their homework for them without learning how to do it themselves. That is a separate issue. I am referring to information in general, such as you might find in an encyclopedia or searching for information about a product that you want to buy in order to decide what type and find the best price. I love the internet and Google. They save me a lot of time. I might otherwise have to waste a lot of time and gas and such driving to and from libraries and stores and many times I am too sick to do so. The internet makes it so easy to search for information on products, decide what you want, find the best deal, and have it delivered to your door. I would also usually rather conduct such transactions on the web than by telephone, where you get put on hold and have trouble understanding one another and you have no record of what transpired.

I think that Google searches and stuff are just a small part of a general trend toward getting things faster, commonly referred to as "instant gratification" and using technology to do things in an automated fashion, rather than through personal interactions. Remember when all gasoline service stations were full-service, where you sat in your car, waited for someone to come to your window and ask how much gas you wanted, fill it for you, check your oil and tire pressure, and clean your windshields? Then, there were a few self-service stations where you could get what you wanted quicker and cheaper. Now, they are all self-service. And, how many of you would rather use an ATM than wait in line at a bank? Once again, it is quicker and cheaper to do it yourself than if the bank has to hire more tellers and have you wait in line.

Do you remember the days before calculators? How many of you remember how to calculate a square root by hand without pushing the square root button on a calculator? So, some skills are forgotten. Does it matter? I believe that by making things quicker and easier, it enables each generation to do and learn more things quickly, so that they can expand beyond that. However, there is a great degree of reliance on such things, such that when they fail, many people don't know what to do. Most places have procedures and occasional practice drills for what to do when such things fail. Imagine working some place when the power goes out and things like cash registers and computers don't work. Some places have generators for temporary power supply. Others have methods for conducting business manually the way they used to do. Sometimes all of this automation seems great and sometimes it seems like it might be nice to live simply the way you would on a camping trip, sort of back to nature. I try to find a nice combination of both.

I think we can expect the trend towards "instant gratification" and saving time and money to extend beyond simple google searches to more integration of searching and scheduling features and such. What do most of you use for searching? Google? or Yahoo? or what? Have you tried things that merge the results, kind of like a UNION in Oracle, from various search engines, like metacrawler? If so, what do you think about those? Do you get more results that way or is one search engine as good as another so that it is quicker to just use one?

Re: Google Generation [message #299082 is a reply to message #294702] Fri, 08 February 2008 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mshrkshl
always nice to read your solution or article.
you are also first one who solved my problem in this forum do you remember breaking of opening and production.
simply,I am your big fan.

regards,

Re: Google Generation [message #299085 is a reply to message #299082] Sat, 09 February 2008 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
mshrkshl wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 21:45

do you remember breaking of opening and production.

Yes, I think it was your first post, wasn't it?

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/289459/43710/#msg_289459
Re: Google Generation [message #299087 is a reply to message #299082] Sat, 09 February 2008 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You should not remind us of this topic, it does not show good qualities from you.

Regards
Michel
Re: Google Generation [message #299338 is a reply to message #294702] Mon, 11 February 2008 09:10 Go to previous message
MarcS
Maybe I'm a bit too pessimistic about things, but let's not forget that not all of us (meaning the world as a whole) are able to profit from that "instant gratification".

What we take for granted is mere impossible for those.

Not that I feel we don't deserve all of what we have nowadays, and how things are evolving. But once in a while I'm confronted with the poorer among us, which makes me reflect on how lucky I am.
Previous Topic: Complete Oracle DB installation tutorial
Next Topic: New proto-Oracle developer II
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:57:39 CDT 2024