Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Difference b/w ODS and OLTP
Difference b/w ODS and OLTP [message #200893] Wed, 01 November 2006 15:37 Go to next message
nagsindhu
HI Experts,
As i Know ,ODS stores only current data like OLTP.Then y do we need to create ODS..We can access data directly from OLTP..right?
pls explain me in detail the differences bwetwen ODS and OLTP....

Thanks,
SIndhuReddy
Re: Difference b/w ODS and OLTP [message #200995 is a reply to message #200893] Thu, 02 November 2006 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't know, but I do know someone who does know all details about it. Ask him.
Re: Difference b/w ODS and OLTP [message #201091 is a reply to message #200893] Thu, 02 November 2006 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nagsindhu
ODS contains Denormalized data and it can store upto 3 to 6 months.
OLTp contains Normalized data and it stotes for few days.
Re: Difference b/w ODS and OLTP [message #201519 is a reply to message #201091] Sun, 05 November 2006 09:05 Go to previous message
skooman
Previous definition is a bit too simplified in my opinion. ODS doesn't necessarily contain denormalized data and it can be a 1-on-1 copy of the OLTP system, periodically updated, just for reporting and analysis. In that case, the ODS contains just as much historical data as the OLTP does.

Reasons to use an ODS include: performance/capacity (reporting on an ODS doesn't interfere with the daily use of the OLTP), tuning on database level (if correctly tuned, OLTP is for fast retrieval and update of a relatively small number of records, by a lot of users, ODS is tuned for retrieval of loads of records by less users). Furthermore, you can add lookup tables, pre-computed aggregates, etc.

But bottom line is: if you can't think of a reason why you would need an ODS, then you don't need one! Wink

Regards,
Sabine
Previous Topic: I am getting problem in Mapping sequence
Next Topic: Importing data from SQL Server to OWB 9.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:13:49 CDT 2024