Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i
icon7.gif  Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117216] Mon, 25 April 2005 16:03 Go to next message
OptionTrader
Can I get my current ORACLE schema into Designer 9i.

I guess there was a way to do it with an old Designer I worked formerly with ORACLE 7.
But I couldn't find a way to do it now.

Thank for any help
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117303 is a reply to message #117216] Tue, 26 April 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I'm currently working with 6i, but yes you can.

Design editor:
Via Generate -> Capture Design of -> Server Model.

MHE
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117315 is a reply to message #117303] Tue, 26 April 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OptionTrader
Thanks for help Maaher.

But there's a problem.
On the window "Capture Server Model from Database"
there is a start button in invisible mode and this doesn't allow me to run capture.

As a repository owner I have created a new repository user with the same user name as one of current database users and gave this new user all rights to repository (checked all boxes).

I am trying to capture my current database schema under this new repository user (not repository owner) but with the problem mentioned above.
Is it some of repository access rights issues ?

Could you, please, help me with it

Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117440 is a reply to message #117315] Wed, 27 April 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You did select some objects to capture, right?

/forum/fa/104/0/Look at the tab 'Objects'. Once you provided the necessary credentials in the first tab, you switch to the second and once you selected some objects, the start button should be enabled.

MHE
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117489 is a reply to message #117440] Wed, 27 April 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OptionTrader
Maaher thanks for your help.

Now that's a problem when I click on Objects folder as you suggested I get a Designer warning message "The target database user to capture implementations into is not valid. Specify target database user" and I can't go on .

But on the "Capture Server Model from Database" - Source of Design Capture I provided with valid username, password and connect string I am using in my current ORACLE database either with SQLPLUS or other applications.

What's the issue now with clicking to Objects folder ?
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117498 is a reply to message #117489] Wed, 27 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
OptionTrader wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 15:58

"The target database user to capture implementations into is not valid. Specify target database user" and I can't go on .

OptionTrader wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 15:58

But on the "Capture Server Model from Database" - Source of Design Capture I provided with valid username, password and connect string
Reread the above quotes. Anything suspicious?

Specify a valid user in the box that states "Database user", below "Target container".

MHE
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117502 is a reply to message #117498] Wed, 27 April 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OptionTrader
You are right Maaher. Sorry to bother you.

But The box "Database user" below "Target container" is invisible so I can't write a username there.

Where I made a mistake with my Designer now ?

Thank for patience & help
Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117577 is a reply to message #117502] Thu, 28 April 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
From Designer help:
Designer Help

If the database user you require is not in the list, you will need to create it.

HOW:
====
To define a database user definition:

1. Click the DB Admin tab on the Navigator.
2. Choose Options->Use Property Dialogs
3. Expand the appropriate Databases node (Oracle or other database).
4. Select the Users node and then click

To get help about a dialog box field click ? and then click on the field.

5. Enter the following information:

· User name

· Password the user must enter to log on to the database

· (Optional) Tablespace settings (default and temporary)
If no settings are specified, the SYSTEM tablespace is used for both default and temporary tablespaces. When a user executes a SQL statement that will result in a temporary segment being created, it is held in the temporary tablespace.

· Space usage quotas for tablespaces
This allows the user to create database objects for which they have privileges in a specified tablespace and it also puts a limit on the amount of space that can be occupied by user objects. By default, no quota is allocated. You should give users a quota on a tablespace, or grant permissions to create objects in another user's tablespace.

· Grant privileges to enable the user to create and or alter objects, as appropriate. You must grant the user the Create Session privilege, to allow the user to log on to the database.

MHE

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2005 06:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Schema re-engineering with Designer 9i [message #117633 is a reply to message #117577] Thu, 28 April 2005 11:22 Go to previous message
OptionTrader
Thanks Maaher for your help again.

I am a step ahead - now I can enter a Database user below the Target container section in Capture Server Model from Databse dialog.
But when clicking on Objects folder I get the same warning message as I mentioned before.

I enclose a picture on all of information on my current Designer
with DB Admin Navigator state .

Could you, please, have a look on this picture and find what's the problem now ?

Thank a lot
  • Attachment: MyIssue.gif
    (Size: 147.03KB, Downloaded 1464 times)
Previous Topic: repository migration from 8i to 10g database
Next Topic: hi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:12:43 CDT 2024