Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to use Optimistic locking in my Package (Oracle 12c Release 2)
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673192 is a reply to message #673191] Sat, 10 November 2018 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
petar97 wrote on Sat, 10 November 2018 12:27
this works for me, I wanted to ask if I could do it better

Which metric measures better?

post COPY & PASTE results that shows the problem the trigger solves.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673213 is a reply to message #673184] Mon, 12 November 2018 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Michel Cadot wrote on Sat, 10 November 2018 19:29

Quote:
I implemented an optimistic lock with the trigger
Doesn't work and is plain stupid.

Whether that works or not depends on the code the client runs.
If the client selects tcn and then updates tcn to the value they've got + 1 I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673216 is a reply to message #673213] Mon, 12 November 2018 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

What I meant was that it does not work more than the previous code assuming that the only changes in the code are the one OP posted (as the code does not refer to this new column).

Anyway, this is stupid as no other session will see the value of the new column, he can do what he wants in the trigger no other one can see it.

As you can see he tries to (stupidly) mimic SQL Server behavior and usual code in Oracle.

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673218 is a reply to message #673216] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
?
Optimistic locking isn't a SQL Server specific thing.
And implementing it always has relied on the devs on controlling all the update statements and making sure each one implements it. Devs controlling all DML on an app is the norm.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673219 is a reply to message #673218] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Optimistic locking isn't a SQL Server specific thing.
I agree but his current code for SQL Server needs it for performances reason (as all SQL Server application using the default locking scheme) and he wants to do the same thing in Oracle where applications are developed in a complete different way using read consistency and not read locks.

The same application for SQL Server and Oracle must be implemented with a complete difference code.

In SQL Server you write (for the same row):
insert
commit
update
commit
update
commit
commit

In Oracle:
insert
update
update
commit

In SQL Server, one commit per operation/statement; in Oracle, one commit per business transaction.

So in SQL Server you need application locking (optimistic or pessimistic), in Oracle you don't need it.
This is what has been said and repeated all over this topic (in his previous one).

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673220 is a reply to message #673219] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
Trigger work well, but here they told me it was stupid

I solved my problem within procedure, code look like this:
PROCEDURE upd_account
            (   p_acc_id      accounts.acc_id%type
              , p_acc_name    accounts.acc_name%type
              , p_acc_amount  accounts.acc_amount%type
              , p_acc_date    accounts.acc_date%type
              , p_version     accounts.version%type
            )
             IS
          BEGIN
              UPDATE accounts
              set acc_name    = p_acc_name
            , acc_amount  = p_acc_amount
            , acc_date    = p_acc_date
            , version = p_version + 1
     where version = p_version;
     DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('Number of updated records: ' || TO_CHAR(SQL%ROWCOUNT));
  if(SQL%ROWCOUNT = 0)
  THEN
  RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR( -20001, 'Oops, the row has changed since you read it.' );
  END IF;
   END;
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673221 is a reply to message #673220] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I do not know why the Oracle does not have to locking?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 November 2018 06:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673222 is a reply to message #673221] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
The word "stupid" gets bandied around on this forum more often than I would like. However, you should read up on Oracle Concepts for more information about locking.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673223 is a reply to message #673219] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Whether you need optimistic or pessimistic locking depends on the type of app you're trying to develop more than the DB tech you are using.

If the app is the type where the user performs an action and the DB records the result then you probably don't need a locking strategy.
If the app is more like CRUD screens where the user queries the stored data and then modifies it how they way then you probably do need a locking strategy.

Oracle forms, which favours CRUD, implements pessimistic locking by default for a reason.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673224 is a reply to message #673220] Mon, 12 November 2018 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You don't need the update trigger if you're controlling all updates through that procedure.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673225 is a reply to message #673224] Mon, 12 November 2018 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I do not need it now
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673226 is a reply to message #673222] Mon, 12 November 2018 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

gazzag wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 13:37
The word "stupid" gets bandied around on this forum more often than I would like. However, you should read up on Oracle Concepts for more information about locking.
You are the third person to point him to this manual that is refused to read and continue to say he does not understand why Oracle does not need this stuff, this is the root of stupidity, I try to make it realize it repeating it.

The scheme of this topic (and the previous one) is:
how to make it?
you don't need it.
in this way is this correct?
you don't need it.
and now?
you don't need it.
and if I do this
you don't need it.

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673227 is a reply to message #673226] Mon, 12 November 2018 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I did not refuse to read, I read, and I'm still reading, I'm trying to understand it well
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673228 is a reply to message #673191] Mon, 12 November 2018 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
petar97 wrote on Sat, 10 November 2018 14:27
this works for me, I wanted to ask if I could do it better
It may "work" in the sense that it doesn't return an error, but that does NOT mean that it accomplishes what you intend in a real application situation.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673229 is a reply to message #673228] Mon, 12 November 2018 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Why wouldn't it work as intended?
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673230 is a reply to message #673229] Mon, 12 November 2018 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I think it works as intended, but I think the procedure is way better
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673231 is a reply to message #673230] Mon, 12 November 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
petar97 wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 06:54
It also works to keep away vampires.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673232 is a reply to message #673231] Mon, 12 November 2018 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
BlackSwan wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 15:27
petar97 wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 06:54
It also works to keep away vampires.

Stop being childish.
The triggers are a workable implementation of optimistic locking as far as I can see.
I've no idea why you, Michel and Ed think otherwise
Here, I'll demo:

Setup:
SQL> CREATE TABLE bob (ID NUMBER, b VARCHAR2(10), tcn NUMBER);

Table created

SQL> CREATE TRIGGER bob_bur
  2  before update on bob FOR EACH ROW
  3  begin
  4  if(:NEW.TCN != :OLD.TCN+1) THEN
  5  RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR(-20000, 'Concurrency Failure');
  6  end if;
  7  :NEW.TCN := DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME;
  8  END;
  9  /

Trigger created

SQL> create or replace trigger bob_ibr
  2  before insert on bob
  3  for each row
  4  begin
  5    :NEW.TCN := DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME;
  6  end;
  7  /

Trigger created

SQL> insert into bob (id, b) values (1, 'text1');

1 row inserted

SQL> commit;

Commit complete

Case where session 1 reads and updates and then session 2 reads before session 1 commits:

Session 1:
SQL> select * from bob;

ID B                 TCN
---------- ---------- ----------
         1 text1       429969331

SQL> update bob set b = 'text2', tcn = 429969331 + 1 where id = 1;

1 row updated

Session 2:
SQL> select * from bob;

ID B                 TCN
         1 text1       429969331

SQL> update bob set b = 'text3', tcn = 429969331 + 1 where id = 1;

<<HANGS>>

Session 1:
SQL> commit;

Commit complete

Session 2:
update bob set b = 'text3', tcn = 429969331 + 1 where id = 1
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-20000: Concurrency Failure
ORA-06512: at "LIVE.BOB_BUR", line 3
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'LIVE.BOB_BUR'

Case where session 1 reads then session 2 reads, then session 1 updates:
Session 1:
SQL> select * from bob;

ID B                 TCN
         1 text2       429978188

Session 2:
SQL> select * from bob;

ID B                 TCN
         1 text2       429978188

Session 1:
SQL> update bob set b = 'text4', tcn = 429978188 + 1 where id = 1;

1 row updated

SQL> commit;

Commit complete

Session 2:
SQL> update bob set b = 'text5', tcn = 429978188 + 1 where id = 1;
update bob set b = 'text5', tcn = 429978188 + 1 where id = 1
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-20000: Concurrency Failure
ORA-06512: at "LIVE.BOB_BUR", line 3
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'LIVE.BOB_BUR'

Now if we remove the trigger and run those updates, all 4 will succeed and the values session 1 wrote for B will be immediately overwritten by session 2's values.
That's a lost update.
Now for some apps that's fine, for others it isn't, and that distinction has nothing do to with whether the DB is oracle or SQL server.

That said, the procedure version negates the need for the triggers.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673236 is a reply to message #673229] Mon, 12 November 2018 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
cookiemonster wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 08:37
Why wouldn't it work as intended?
It may or may not. I have not dug into the actual code and thought through the implications. But given the OP history, I'm guessing that he thinks if it doesn't return an actual error, then it "works". I was suggesting he thing through what constitutes "it works".

Back when I was a cobol programmer, I worked with a guy that though that if he got his program to compile without error, then it was production ready.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 November 2018 14:53]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673243 is a reply to message #673236] Tue, 13 November 2018 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Given the OP posted this earlier:

"[that code is supposed] to get an error when something has changed in the table"

I see zero reason to think the OP thinks like your idiot ex-colleague and every reason to think he's actually tested it to see if it throws the error when expected.
And the phrasing of your previous post (emphasis on NOT) made it sound like you knew there was a problem with it (at least it does to me).

You've gone and filtered your view of this thread through the filter of the OPs previous threads and thus completely missed that he's come up with two different working implementations of optimistic locking.
The OP is lot smarter than you and the others think he is.

This bit is for everyone, not just you:

This thread is a mess of everyone other than the OP missing the point.
Oracles approach to locking does not mean that applications that use an oracle DB never have to implement optimistic locking.
The fact that the OP comes from a SQL Server background (where apparently you need to do a lot more optimistic locking) doesn't in anyway prove that what he's working on right now doesn't need optimistic locking.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673278 is a reply to message #673243] Wed, 14 November 2018 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
This thread is fairly typical of this forum. A certain clique of our regular posters can be too quick to assume that someone is being "stupid" rather than trying to understand the OP. I don't think that this does them or this forum any credit. I appreciate that we can all get frustrated with posters who blatantly don't even try to learn but we should not make assumptions about someone just because we find it difficult to understand them. The fault can sometimes be ours. This forum might become a more useful resource to more people if we all remember that. There have been some good people on this forum who no longer post anymore. Does anyone wonder why?

Cookiemonster has demonstrated the concept of understanding perfectly in this thread.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673319 is a reply to message #673278] Wed, 14 November 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I did not feel the need to answer why I needed a lock, but before that I said that I was doing it as an exercise, but I read the lock documentation.

And then it was stupid to answer some questions that did not lead me to a solution,
At least it seems to me.

Nowhere in the documentation did I find how to implement locking.
Otherwise I would not ask the question here.

Here's an example of why locking should be used.

What if a user takes money from the account twice at the same time, e.g. from ATMs or on the Internet

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2018 13:16]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673321 is a reply to message #673319] Wed, 14 November 2018 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
What if a user takes money from the account twice at the same time, e.g. from ATMs or on the Internet
What is the problem with that (assuming this is physically possible)?

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673323 is a reply to message #673319] Thu, 15 November 2018 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Are you missing the whole point of optimistic/pessimistic locking? It is not related to transactional integrity. Oracle guarantees that, without you needing to do anything. So your example of two concurrent withdrawals from the same account is not a problem. Forget it.

Optimistic/pessimistic locking is all at the application level, when designing the user interface. Imagine you retrieve a set of rows, and look at them for a while. Then you update one. Do you want to lock the rows for the whole procedure (thus causing a problem for other users who might want to update them while you were twiddling your thumbs) or do you not want to lock them (thus causing a problem for yourself in that you won't be aware of any changes done by others while you were twiddling your thumbs)?

[Updated on: Thu, 15 November 2018 01:03]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673328 is a reply to message #673323] Thu, 15 November 2018 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Your example, and John's earlier one about buying something and it runs out of stock, are both cases where the only affect other users/sessions/processes have on what you are doing is whether you are allowed to do it at all.
Consequently you don't really need optimistic or pessimistic locking at all. You just need to write code that will check the balance/stock level at the point in time of the transaction and if it's too low throw an error.
e.g.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE change_balance(p_account_id, p_amount)

l_new_balance NUMBER;

BEGIN

UPDATE accounts
  SET balance = balance + p_amount --p_amount will be negative for withdrawels)
  WHERE coount_id = p_account_id
  RETURNING balance INTO l_new_balance;

IF l_new_balance < 0 THEN
    raise_application_error(-20001, 'Sorry you're overdrawn');
  END IF;

END;
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673332 is a reply to message #673328] Thu, 15 November 2018 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
Thank you, but sometimes there is a need for an optimistic lock,
Someone could have written it before.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673333 is a reply to message #673332] Thu, 15 November 2018 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Let's talk about why my example works.
It works because the update itself calculates the new balance.
Say there is $50 in your account
And you are withdrawing $30 at an ATM
And at the exact same time someone has hacked your amazon account and is buying something for $30.

Now that update locks the row so that only that session can do anything with it until a commit or rollback occurs.
And even if the requests happen at the exact same time one of them is going to lock the row first and the other is going to have to wait.
So session 1 gets it first, updates the balance to 20 (50-30), doesn't throw an error and then commits.
Then session 2 can perform it's update - the balance is calculated as 20 minus 30, giving -10 and an error is thrown.

Now suppose the procedure didn't calculate the balance in the update, but did it before hand with a select:

l_current_balance NUMBER;
l_new_balance NUMBER;

BEGIN

SELECT balance INTO l_current_balance
  FROM accounts
  WHERE account_id = p_account_id;

l_new_balance := l_current_balance + p_amount;

END IF;

UPDATE accounts
  SET balance = l_new_balance

END;

That'll be fine 99.99999% of the time.
But what happens when two sessions run it at the exact same time for the same account.
Using the scenario above:
Session 1 does the select and sees the balance is 50 and sets new balance to 20.
Session 2 does the select and sees the balance is 50 and sets new balance to 20.
Session 1 updates accounts to set new balance to 20.
Session 2 updates accounts to set new balance to 20.

And $30 has been created by the magic of code bugs.

So how do you avoid that?
You could use my original code.
Or you could have the select lock the record:

l_new_balance NUMBER;

BEGIN

SELECT balance INTO l_current_balance
  FROM accounts
  WHERE account_id = p_account_id
  FOR UPDATE;

l_new_balance := l_current_balance + p_amount;

END IF;

UPDATE accounts
  SET balance = l_new_balance

END;
The FOR UPDATE locks the row, causing the second session to block at the point of the select and then it logically behaves the same as my original code.
Now that is short term pessimistic locking.
You could do this with optimistic locking if you really wanted to, but why bother.

Now supposed (for some bizarre reason) that the client worked out the new balance instead.
The ATM and amazon have both queried the current account balance, subtracted the amount they're taking off and send the new balance to the bank.
(Bank systems would never allow this, it would be fraud central).
Then to avoid the magically created money you need to implement optimistic/pessimistic locking.

Here's a better optimistic locking example:

At my work we use redmine to record our dev tasks - what bugs/enhancements we're working on and what we do to the code base.
Say my boss asks me to look at a bug.
He assigns the issue to me in redmine.
I have a look at the description and realize the problem is in the Java app, not the DB, and I'm not the best person to do anything about it.
So I turn to Java Dev Adam, who's sat next to me, and ask if he's busy. He's not, so I ask if he wants to take a look, he says yes and I assign it over to him.

At the same time I'm looking at it, my boss, who's not in earshot, realizes it's a Java bug and messages Java Dev Bobby to see if he's busy. He's not, so my boss updates the redmine to assign the issue to him. He hits the submit button a few seconds after I do.

And lo, Redmine says unto him:
"User cookiemonster has updated this issue since you started viewing it and has made the following changes, do you still wish to apply your changes?"

Then me and the boss have a chat, I tell Adam to forget about it, boss commits his change and we avoid the possibility of two devs investigating the same bug independently (yes there are email notifications, no not everyone always reads them).

Optimistic locking is best in situations where changes to the data by other users since you queried it may, or may not, cause you to do something different.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673374 is a reply to message #673333] Sat, 17 November 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
Thank you for such a good explanation.

I used "Optimistic Locking" because Oracle recommends it.

but it looks different in practice Smile

If you know a useful article about this, you can send me mail or some tasks to this or another topic

[Updated on: Sat, 17 November 2018 15:19]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673416 is a reply to message #673323] Mon, 19 November 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
John Watson wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 07:01
Are you missing the whole point of optimistic/pessimistic locking? It is not related to transactional integrity. Oracle guarantees that, without you needing to do anything. So your example of two concurrent withdrawals from the same account is not a problem. Forget it.
Just re-read this.
No oracle doesn't automatically avoid the two concurrent withdrawal problem without you having to do anything.
Have a look at my examples in my previous post.
If you select the data to work out what you need without explicitly locking it you're going to have a problem.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673676 is a reply to message #673333] Sun, 02 December 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I want to use SELECT ... FOR UPDATE in the package for acc_id and acc_name

I did it this way but I'm not sure it's okay. when the lock is activate
begin
account.api.upd_account (1, 'user', 1000);
end;

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE account_api AS
PROCEDURE upd_account
          (
            p_acc_id     accounts.acc_id%type
          , p_acc_name   accounts.acc_name%type
          , p_acc_amount accounts.acc_amount%type
      );
end account_api;
 /

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY account_api AS
PROCEDURE upd_account (
            p_acc_id     accounts.acc_id%type
          , p_acc_name   accounts.acc_name%type
          , p_acc_amount accounts.acc_amount%type
)
is
l_new_balance NUMBER;

BEGIN

SELECT acc_amount INTO l_current_balance
  FROM accounts
  WHERE acc_id = p_acc_id
  FOR UPDATE;

l_new_balance := l_current_balance + p_acc_amount;

raise_application_error(-20001, 'Sorry you re overdrawn');
  END IF;

UPDATE accounts
  SET acc_amount = l_new_balance,
      acc_name = p_acc_name
  WHERE acc_id = p_acc_id;
COMMIT;
end;
end account_api;
/
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673677 is a reply to message #673676] Sun, 02 December 2018 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
should ACCOUNTS.ACC_AMOUNT value be positive or negative after/when the ORA-20001 exception is raised (& why)?
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673678 is a reply to message #673677] Sun, 02 December 2018 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
And it made me confused. cookiemonster used it
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673679 is a reply to message #673678] Sun, 02 December 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
After
begin account_api.upd_account(1, 'user', 1000) end;
I can immediately make a second statement without any problems, Should not the mistake be made?

[Updated on: Sun, 02 December 2018 14:38]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673680 is a reply to message #673679] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
petar97 wrote on Sun, 02 December 2018 12:38
After
begin account_api.upd_account(1, 'user', 1000) end;
I can immediately make a second statement without any problems, Should not the mistake be made?

MISTAKE?
What Mistake?

Please clarify why you think any problem should exist.

Posted code is behaving as designed & implemented (& not as imagined).
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673681 is a reply to message #673680] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
At any time, I can update the table with another user

[Updated on: Sun, 02 December 2018 15:43]

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673682 is a reply to message #673681] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
I want a mistake if table is locked. how to do it?
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673684 is a reply to message #673682] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
petar97 wrote on Sun, 02 December 2018 13:50
I want a mistake if table is locked. how to do it?

COMMIT releases the row lock established by SELECT ... FOR UPDATE.
Each user has their own row.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673685 is a reply to message #673684] Sun, 02 December 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petar97
What is more useful in practice, pessimistic locking is used in procedure or outside of it.
Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673686 is a reply to message #673685] Sun, 02 December 2018 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
petar97 wrote on Sun, 02 December 2018 14:01
What is more useful in practice, pessimistic locking is used in procedure or outside of it.

Which metric measures useful?
What is unit of measure for useful?

Procedure is PL/SQL.
Locking is done by only SQL which does not know or care about PL/SQL.

Re: How to use Optimistic locking in my Package [message #673687 is a reply to message #673686] Mon, 03 December 2018 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
petar97
I thought what was being used more often?
how to leave a message to a user who wants to update the locked row
Previous Topic: Charater set
Next Topic: SQL Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:28:57 CDT 2024